Contest name: Grain Magazine’s 27th Annual Short Grain Writing Contest$4,500 in prizes to be won!
Grain and the Short Grain Writing Contest have featured the work of such literary luminaries as Lorna Crozier, Xi Chua, Tim Lilburn, Guy Maddin, Patrick Lane, Miriam Toews, Zsuzsi Gartner, and Eleanor Wachtel. You could join them in the pages of Grain.
Contest prizes donated in part by Cheryl & Henry Kloppenburg, Barristers and Solicitors, Saskatoon.
$4,500 in prizes to be won!
Each entrant receives a FREE subscription to Grain Magazine!
DEADLINE: APRIL 1, 2015 (POSTMARKED)
Poetry: George Elliott Clarke, Author of Execution Poems
Fiction: Sandra Birdsell, Author of Waiting for Joe
Poetry: Poetry of any style – including prose poetry – up to 100 lines.
Fiction: Short fiction in any form – including postcard fiction – to a maximum of 2500 words.
3 prizes will be awarded in each category:
1st = $1,000
2nd = $750
3rd = $500
1. The basic fee for Canadian entrants is $40 (includes GST) for a maximum of two entries in one category (Poetry or Fiction). The fee for US entrants is $50 and the fee for international entrants is $60, payable in US or Canadian funds. Please make your cheque or money order payable to Short Grain Contest. You may also pay online via PayPal (see below).
2. Every entrant receives a one-year (four-issue) subscription to Grain Magazine, starting with the Summer (August) issue.
3. All entries must be POSTMARKED or EMAILED by April 1. Entries postmarked or received by email after this date will not be accepted.
4. Each entry must be original, unpublished, not submitted elsewhere for publication or broadcast, nor accepted elsewhere for publication or broadcast, nor entered simultaneously in any other contest or competition. Work that has appeared online is considered published and is not eligible.
5. All entries in this contest will be judged anonymously, on merit alone. The judges’ decisions are final. Judges reserve the right not to award a prize in a given category if no entry is of sufficient quality to warrant publication.
6. Entries must be accompanied by one cover page, regardless of the number of entries submitted, and must provide the following information. If you are submitting via email, include this information in the body of your email.
Your name, complete mailing address, telephone number, and email address.
Title of your entry(ies).
Category you are entering: Poetry (to a max of 100 lines) or Fiction (to a max of 2,500 words)
Word Count (Fiction) / Line Count (Poetry). An absolutely accurate word or line count is required.
Method of Payment (if submitting by email)
Judging is blind. Do not print, type, or write your name on the text pages of your entry.
7. Your entry must be typed (double-spaced for fiction) on 8 1/2 x 11 inch paper.
8. Mailed entries will not be returned. Keep a copy of your entry.
9. Names of the winners and titles of the winning entries of the Short Grain Contest will be posted on the Grain website in August. Contest winners will be notified directly either by telephone or by email.
10. Make your cheque or money order payable to Short Grain Contest. If you want to pay online, use the PayPal order form below. If payment is from a name other than that which is on your submission, please let us know.
11. Send your entry or entries to:
Short Grain Contest
P.O. Box 67
Canada, S7K 3K1
12. Entries by fax will not be accepted.
Submit by Email
Now accepting email entries.
1. Send entries as an attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org Judging is blind. Do not put your name on your entry. Acceptable file formats are Word (.doc or .docx) or PDF.
2. All emails must include a subject line that contains the author’s full name, genre(s), and payment method (cheque , money order, or PayPal). For example: Jane Grain, Fiction, Cheque OR Jim Grain, Poetry, PayPal
3. Follow instructions as listed above.
DEADLINE: APRIL 1, 2015 (postmarked)
Pay Online!You may pay for your online entry by paper means (cheque or money order) or online via PayPal. Use the form below to submit your online payment. Remember: each entry of UP TO two poetry entries or UP TO two fiction entries requires one entry fee. If you submit a poetry entry and a fiction entry, that’s two entry fees. If you submit four fiction entries, that’s two entry fees. All fees are subject to GST (5 %). source visit here